Finally, what to do with all those prints? I’m taking the most interesting ones to the Hebden Bridge Town Hall Print Fair on Saturday May 23rd, 11am – 4pm, see you there… cards, small prints, large prints, and nothing over a tenner. This is the first time I’ve seriously attempted to sell any of my artwork, so that will be interesting! The rest of them, I’m recycling into handmade paper (very rough), in my cellar.
End. Of. I finished the course a while back, and once over the initial desire to burn it all and walk out, light and free, into the beautiful summer…
Pulling it all together to make an assessment portfolio and build a sketchbook, was a good thing to do. The selection process, the sorting, considering, arranging and sticking, helped me to look at the work I had done in a more evaluative sort of way. I could see trains of thought and patterns, stuff I’ld explored a lot, stuff I’ld struggled with, interesting tangents, stuff I wanted to do more with. I think it’s worth putting yourself through this process even if you’re not doing a degree and don’t need the brownie points. I’ve been much more interested in textures and materials than graphics – I didn’t expect that. I like to work with randomness and not planned and detailed complexity – I did know that, but through the whole elaborate process of printing in layers, I’m now really organised in the way that I work. I’m pleased about that.
The. End. Post no. 99
So… the coursebook just asks for the best four, and a supporting statement. I feel the need to tie them together, which I do verbally in the statement, and by chopping them so they’re all the same size. Here are the prints:
This is the electronic sketchbook for Chapter 5 – click an image to open slider. To view images fullsize (ie to read them) > in slider view, for each image, there is a link in the bottom right of the screen. All this material appears in the relevent blog posts – this just pulls it into one place.
This idea came together very quickly, translating the outline drawing to a cardboard printing plate, which I sealed very lightly, making it a bit more robust than a set of stencils, but not so rigid as my previous collagraph plates. The idea was that it should be pliant enough to collapse through use, but not too quickly. I planned to use oil-based ink to protect it a bit, and a fairly muddy set of colours to reflect more of a heavy summer rainy atmosphere. The colours dried a lot lighter than anticipated, so they’re a bit strange. I forgot the image would reverse but it doesn’t matter. I like the way it’s all very contained.
Here are three prints, in various weights:
This is a brighter print, at less of an angle…